here i am again, a month has passed since my last blog post. i will get the hang of this some day, i’m sure.
in the last month a few things have gone down:
– i suffered through the 6 hours of painfully obvious lecturing of the food handlers course and got my certificate. this is a positive step in some kind of a direction, yay!
– i have been successfully baking bread every week (!!!) for our house, byebye store-bought!!!
– i’ve been baking (duh), and have added 4 ready-to-go recipes to my (very unorganized) recipe book.
– christmas tree hunting!!!!!! yay! we got a tree for outside and inside this year, and i am just too pleased. with the mixture of vanilla essence, spruce tree aroma, and whatever i’m baking that day, my house smells crazy. good crazy.
anyhow, as promised, i’ve got my mini carrot cake recipe here for you. i’m going to let you in on a little something though. i made a seriously awesome cashew cream cheese frosting to top these babies, but did i write down the recipe as i went? noooooo. mostly because i didn’t believe i would come up with something that good. BUT, i’ve got a pretty good idea of how it came together, so just trust me on this, k?
(mini) Vegan Carrot Cake(s)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 1/2 cup finely grated carrot, packed
- 1 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (can sub soy or coconut)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange juice (can sub. with more nut milk)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup spelt (or whole wheat) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch allspice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a mini loaf pan (9 slot), muffin pan (9), or *standard loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine ground flax and water and whisk. Set aside to gel.
- In a large bowl sift together dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, add remaining wet ingredients to flax egg, stir to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined. Divide mixture into your mini loaf pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until tops are firm and springy. **If using a standard loaf pan, you will need to increase bake time. I have not made this recipe in a standard loaf pan, but I would assume it would take at least 45 minutes – checking every 5 minutes after this point.
Coconut-Cashew “Cream Cheese” Frosting
(adapted from This Rawsome Vegan Life)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, soaked for at least a few hours or overnight in refrigerator
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least few hours or overnight in refrigerator
- 1-2 tbsp white vinegar*
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey (can sub agave or maple syrup – adjusting amount as needed)
- water, as needed
Combine ingredients in high speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. This will take at least 5 minutes, and you may need to add more water. **I used white vinegar, as apposed to many other recipes I found that used lemon juice. I found the white vinegar created a much more realistic tasting vegan cream cheese. Once creamy, taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more sweetener or vinegar to your liking.