i have been MIA the past few months, i know. i wasn’t far, though! (mostly sitting RIGHT there ^^^)
ahem.. but! i was working, baking, cooking, experimenting and more baking. the past few months have been a really good learning experience for me. i worked in a cafe, which is something i have been wanting to do for quite a few years now – to find out if working in a kitchen is something i could really enjoy. just as i suspected, i loved it! between the relaxed atmosphere and constantly filling peoples’ bellies, i was in my own personal heaven.
fast-forward to now. now, i am baking nearly every day for family, friends and family friends. i am learning to venture outside of my comfort zone, adapting recipes to my own personal tastes, and even being brave enough to develop my own recipes! this is what i want to be doing, all day every day; create yummy, healthy vegan food out of pure inspiration.
what does this mean for this little nook on the web? well, i am an avid blog reader; especially food blogs. i’ve gotten to the point where i have collected so many recipes that when it comes time to bake, i get a little overwhelmed. so! here will be my place to relieve some of that; to post some of my favorite recipes with you and tell you why they have become a staple in my house.
SO, let’s get started with a recipe that is perfect for fall!
These muffins are great slathered in almond butter as a breakfast, or fantastic on their own for an afternoon snack. They’re oil free, lightly sweet, slightly spiced & wonderfully fluffy.
Zucchini Carrot Spice Muffin (vegan)
(inspired by Oh She Glows)
- 2 cups flour (I used 3/4 spelt, 3/4 unbleached all-purpose & 3/4 whole wheat – feel free to sub the spelt for more whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8-1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/3-1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup finely shredded zucchini (do not drain the liquid)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1-1&1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract (optional)
Simple ‘Glaze’ (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or good quality organic brown sugar)
- 1/2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk, to thicken
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, grease a standard muffin pan with coconut oil (or other mild flavored oil)
- In a medium bowl, whisk flax + water mixture for a moment and set aside to thicken (at least 5 minutes). Meanwhile, grate your zucchini & carrot and add to flax mixture along with almond milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and extracts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your choice of flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and spices.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients just until combined – this is a fairly runny mixture, but don’t be alarmed! We didn’t use any oil, so this is to make up for that! Divide mixture into 12 muffin slots.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350; when ready, the muffins will feel firm and springy when you poke them on their peak. Remove from oven and allow them to rest in muffin pan for at least 5 minutes before allowing them to cool until just warm, the perfect time to enjoy them!!
- (For optional glaze: simply mix together ingredients and brush on muffins when they are just warm and allow the awesomeness to soak in!)