you know how after travelling/being away for a period of time, being out of your routine, you just feel gross? well, that’s me today. even though the time difference in toronto is only an hour from nova scotia’s, i feel jet legged. i had to muster up a lot of energy to take myself to the grocery store, which is something i’m usually thrilled to do.
at any rate, i’m happy i went because it allowed me to create this really light lunch that’s perfect for summer; the first ‘recipe’ i’ll be sharing with you here! keep in mind, this recipe is incredibly adaptable and moreso just an inspiration for you that you can spin off and make your own.
vegan lettuce tacos – yield 2 tacos
2 pieces of cabbage (i used green) about the size of your hand
- 2 leaves of romaine hearts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium carrot (preferably organic)
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 1/4 cup mushroom; i used button mushrooms, but any fresh mushroom will do!
- 1/2 cup crumbled chickpeas
- ~ 2 tbsp vegan vegetable stock (optional)
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional toppings: parsley, avocado, vegan pesto, pine nuts, use your imagination!
1) Put coconut oil in a pan and allow to heat up. Chop carrot, zucchini and mushroom any way you wish.
2) Allow vegetables to cook for a few minutes while you crumble your chickpeas (freshly cooked or canned will do) in a separate bowl with a fork. You don’t need to be too picky about this, as long as it’s mostly crumbled it will work!
3) Once vegetables are cooked but still have a bite and your chickpea crumble is slightly browned, add your spices (tumeric, cumin, salt + pepper). Allow to sit.
4) Lay out your cabbage leaves and put a romaine heart leaf on each, followed by your taco mixture. Top these off with whatever you feel; I added a touch of fresh lemon juice on each to enhance the freshness.
these tacos are super quick, light, fresh and crazy healthy; perfect for hot summer weather! it works whether your taco mixture is freshly hot from the stove, or has sat at room temperature (as i figured out, once i fiddled with it and photographed it).
now i’m off to let the jet-leg consume me, zzzz